17 February 2016

User experience, design, & business

Applied anthropologist Amy Santee (Anthropologizing.com  |  @amysantee) shared her AAA webinar about her work "Practicing Anthropology in User Experience, Design and Business" (14 January 2016). Santee has this to say about this talk (from her blog):
There are ample career opportunities for anthropologists in this field, but I’ve realized over the past couple years how obscure it is among academics and students within the discipline. My goal was to illustrate what this might look like based on my own career path and experiences.
   During the presentation, I talk about how I got into this line of work, how I think about applying anthropology to design in terms of perspective, approach, skills, tools, and project examples, and how I’m able to do meaningful work that aligns with my values. I provide an explanation of user experience and user-centered design and share what’s been most useful for transitioning from anthropology into this field from a professional development perspective. At the end, there is a 30-minute Q&A session.